Thursday, February 17, 2005

Experiencing Temporary Disruption

It seems that I forgot my account password for the ST Times, and in attempting to gain it back, the ST has shut me out (it even disabled my original password which I found out later). Kinda frightening when the page informs you that "help has been directed to our AsiaOne Admin HelpDesk" automatically. They must think you are some spy or something.

As I am in a new country, I won't have access to the daily papers so I apologise for some delay in updates. I will resume updating as soon as I retrieve my ST account and a home internet connection.

Just as a small personal blurb, before I left Singapore, my local community gym had installed a fingerprint device for members. There were definitely some hiccups on the first day of testing but that isn't the real issue. What floored me was why a small local community gym (NTUC, to be specific) needs to implement a high-tech sophiscated identity/entrance device for something as minor as entering a gym. If there is one guaranteed purpose in installing such a security device, it will serve to keep people OUT instead of in. Security alarms, entrances and devices are never meant to keep people in, they are designed to warn potential newcomers about the perils of the place. I highly doubt current members feel any safer, nor will any future potential members choose to patron such a place.

Incidentally, there was a fee hike in the membership fee shortly before the device was introduced. Instead of upgrading the gym or the community club, this is where the money went to. It's little moments like this that remind you of the extreme regard for security we have in Singapore.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Void Deck said...

Why gym oso need such fingerprint shit. Yah money might as well spend on employing a bouncer or security guard. At least one more person employed in the economy.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home